Pontifical Mission Societies
The Society for the Propagation of the Faith is one of the four Pontifical Mission Societies. Since 1922, the Pontifical Mission Societies have been the Catholic Church’s official support organization for the overseas mission. The PMS are under the direct canonical jurisdiction of the Holy Father who reminds the faithful of their baptismal call to mission.
The Diocese of Fresno – Society for the Propagation of the Faith strives to inform the Catholic community of the life and needs of the Catholic Church in the Missions, and encourage prayer and financial assistance to mission countries. Through the offerings from our Catholic faithful, the Society for the Propagation of the Faith provides support in pastoral programs, evangelistic efforts, assistance in education of the underserved, care of poor children and orphanages, aid in health care to the very needy in young foreign missions.
Society For The Propagation Of The Faith:
Donations to the SPOF can be made payable to:
Diocese of Fresno
1550 N. Fresno Street
Fresno, Ca. 93703
- (559) 493-2855, Ext. 104
- (559) 488-7464
- [email protected]
Pontifical Mission Societies — Mission Office
1550 N. Fresno Street
Fresno, CA 93703
The parishes of the Diocese of Fresno participate in the Missionary Cooperation Plan each year. Each parish is assigned a visiting missionary, during the months of January to August, for a weekend mission appeal to share stories of their mission activities and ask for our prayers and financial support. They come from mission dioceses, mission societies and religious congregations from Africa, Asia, India, Sri Lanka, Philippines, Mexico, Peru, Vietnam, and Middle East. Missionary group must be a recognized organization in good standing with the SPOF and provide the following:
- Letter of inclusion to MOP received no later than September of each year. Organizations wishing to participate must be a recognized Roman Catholic missionary society in good standing with the United States Society for the Propagation of the Faith serving one or more foreign countries or a diocese in the U.S. designated as a missionary by the USCCB.
- Letter must be signed by the (Arch) Bishop of Diocese or official representative of mission group. Letter must be on official letterhead with diocesan/religious group’s official seal stating the needs of organization and how monies will be used.
- Name of designated contact person must be available in the United States, including address, telephone and email of U.S. Mission Representative.
- Immigration status of missionary speakers.
- Testimonial of Suitability form or Diocesan Letter of Suitability for each priest/religious/speaker.
World Mission Sunday is a day set aside for Catholics worldwide to recommit themselves to the Church’s missionary activity through prayer and sacrifice. The World Mission Sunday celebration highlights the outreach of local churches through priests, religious and laity among the poor and marginalized half a world away.
World Mission Sunday is celebrated annually on the next-to-the last Sunday every October. Your prayers and generous financial support directly benefits the Mission church — and helps deepen your relationship with Jesus by helping so many missionaries around the world.
What Happens to Your World Mission Sunday Donation?
- First, after placing your envelope in the collection basket, your pastor sends the total offerings to the diocesan office of the Society for the Propagation of the Faith.
- The director of the diocesan mission office then sends your donation (all donations received for WMS) to the Pontifical Mission Societies national office located in New York City.
- Each spring, the Pontifical Mission Societies’ national directors travel to Rome, Italy, to meet other national directors from around the world. At this meeting all directors report on the offerings made by the faithful of their countries.
- Know your offerings bring with it the Good News of Jesus Christ and His message of Peace and Hope. Your gift of $25 supports a mission catechist for one month; $100 provides for the work of Religious Sisters or is a month’s help for a village mission. Always, your prayers are your most treasured gift to the Missions.